Monday, September 17, 2012

Guardian Kestrel (detail)


I wanted to save the kestrel for last but I couldn't resist getting him started. I go right for the head, the eyes and beak to be exact. If I don't get that right away I scrape him off and start again. Luckily, I felt it was a good start so I feel confident to move on to other areas.  At this point I've already spent months on the background, so it was a welcome change of color and textures. 

The painting is very large for me, 48x36 so I have quite a bit work left to do. I will begin to work on the lower left of the facade which is a carved relief of figures.


3 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

Very ambitious John, and well-done, as always.

Unknown said...

hi john,good to see this new piece from you.it looks terrific as always,enjoying watching your progress.

John said...

Mona, yes this piece is very ambitious for me. I've often asked myself, what the hell was I thinking. Can't give up now.

Clive, thanks so much!